Companions of the Prophet
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

Another two brilliant books done, alhumduliLlah. I feel like I inhaled them *they are that interesting*! In total I learned about 60 companions of the Beloved Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa-sallam). I found the books interesting, beneficial, extremely inspiring.. but at the same time sad. Yes..sad because of what the companions went through (may Allah have mercy on them), insha'Allah their reward is with Allah for their struggle. But more-so a realization of how far we have strayed. How we have muddled our priorities.. we are so busy trying to make something of this world.. that our permanent abode just kind of fades into the background, unlike the life of the companions.



Title: Companions of the Prophet
Author: Abdul Wahid Hamid
Available: MELS

Have I learned anything from it, or was it all review? Actually I did! From little bits of information about companions we are familiar with to companions we have never heard about, or rarely hear about. Example, the first Muslim to ever enter Makkah reciting the talbiyah, who pledged allegiance to the Prophet as a small child, what advice did Abu 'Ubaydah ibn al-Jarrah give before he passed away, who learned to write Hebrew and Syriac in order to help communicate with others,...

Does the Imam use Qur'anic and authentic hadith texts? Yes.. naturally. I also found it so great to read about what was happening when a certain ayah or hadith was revealed.

Is the book easy to understand? Extremely easy to follow, and would be great for younger readers as well.

Notable pages? Every page. I personally love that when I come across any hadith now, I know a little about the narrator.

Out of 5: I rate both books 5.

It would be nice to hear from others who have read these books, what you thought of it, if you have a favourite story in it, or if you recommend any other books about the companions.

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 8:16 AM | Permalink


13 Comments:


At 3:58 PM, Blogger Ihsaan-the struggle

Salaamu aleykum warahmatulaahi wabarakaatu my dear sister..

Sub’haanallah.. I couldn't help but shed tears whilst reading the mini biographies of each companion, like you said may Allah The Most Generous reward them abundantly! Each night I would read a few chapters and the book would have a humbling effect on me, May Allah forgive us for viewing the endless blessings He has given us so lightly and not utilizing them in a manner that is most pleasing to Him (swt)

Looking forward to reading the first part insha’allah as well as the second (again)

Salaamu aleykum warahmatulaah & thanx for sharing sis

 

At 6:51 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Ameen.

Jazak'Allah for the beautiful du'a, and for sharing your comment.. very much appreciated :)

"Each night I would read a few chapters and the book would have a humbling effect on me" - that was me each night. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to read them, and I pray I am able to apply what I have leaned into my life.

Insha'Allah I hope you get to read the first part (and second - again).

Ma'salaama
Love Farhana

 

At 1:54 PM, Blogger B E L I E V E R

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalam Alaikum Sister. Thank you for the brief description of the books. Inshallah I am inspired to read these books myself and will share my views once I have read them.

You are so right about how we are so busy trying to make something of ourselves in this world. We tend to forget just how temporary our stay is and we tend to stop working for the Akhira. We need to show something to Allah when we stand before waiting judgement. It is never too late and Inshallah we all wake up and strive towards that goal.

 

At 9:07 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear Believer,

Jazak'Allah for dropping by any leaving your comments.

I look forward to reading your views on the books, insha'Allah.

Yes.. it's never too late, until we are dead! *which could be right at our doorstep* - it really does help to remember death often.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 12:06 PM, Blogger nuh ibn zbigniew gondek

As salaam alaikum.

I just surfed onto your blog. You are a very busy and crafty Muslimah! Alhamdulillah

I write for a largely Muslim audience. If you up for some light reading please come by.

Wa salaama,

nuh ibn

 

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear brother,

Jazak'Allah for stopping by.

I would be thrilled to read anything I can benefit from. Thank you letting me know.. much appreciated, I shall insha'Allah check out your blog.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 8:22 PM, Blogger Hafsa

my friends got me these books for my birthday, and i love them!

 

At 5:13 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister Hafsa,

Thank you for letting me know about the books! I am glad you love them.

Thats a great idea... to give them as gifts!

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Umm Abdullah

Assalamua'alaikum!

These books are awesome Masha'Allah!

They're those type of books you just wanna keep reading and reading ..without ever putting it down. Until sadly you come to and end, and in this case yaaay there's a second book. Even still though, it's also one of those books to read over and over.

A great insight into the reality of our lives. A check into our nafs, and a boost to our soul, Insha'Allah.

Definitely ***** 5 Stars! Masha'Allah.

 

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest Shireen,

Jazak'Allah for your thoughts, and feedback on these books..and your rating! Much appreciated.

I am happy to see you enjoyed them as much as I did.

Now you have all the others I've posted to read and review..hehe

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Asalaamu alikum wa rahamatullah wa barakatuhu Farhana,

These two are indeed brilliant books- if only we Muslims took these people as our role models. Of course we must learn the stroies- we should try to teach these stories to our children once we have learnt them.

I love the story of Salman al-Farsi. From Persia to Syria to Arabia- from Zoroastrianism to Christendom to Islam. A journey of a seeker of truth. Its my childhood favourite. I like also the tale of Abu Hurairah (what a beautiful tittle- "The kitten man")

I don't know of other resources in English- but I would direct your readers to the following page for lectures on the companions of the prophet which I have found useful:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/media/default.asp?q=f&f=%2FIslamic+History%2FSahaba+Rasul%2DAllah

Kind regards,


Don't be sad

PS: The format of this book review and other reviews is fantastic. I've been wanting to write a review of Ibn Battutah's travels for sometime after a reader asked about it- would you object if I used your headings as a basic template?

 

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear Don't Be Sad,

Jazak'Allah for stopping by, always a pleasure to hear from you.

Thank you very much for your feedback on these books!

I am familiar with the story of Salman al-Farsi, but only from my recent reading. I too love the tale of Abu Hurairah :D

The link you gave is excellent! I can't wait to listen to the lectures. Jazak'Allah, much appreciated.

Yes, yes.. you can definitely use the same format for book reviews. I look forward to reading your review on Ibn Battutah's travels. The book is actually on my bookshelf..but I haven't had the chance to get to it.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Farhana

PS: Thanx to your post about reading.. I am back to reading everyday, alhumduliLlah! :D

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts