Maple Spice Cake
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

It's definitely time for a recipe.. don't you think! Nothing like some wonderful Maple Spice Cake on a cold, gloomy day.. that was yesterday. And today it's nice and sunny (gotta love Canadian weather, alhumduliLlah).. so I enjoyed it with some Chocolate Cookie Dough ice-cream. Oh it's soooo yummy!.. and who can resist anything with maple syrup in!!

And you don't need a mixer to make it.. how nice is that.


Serves: Me alone.. or 10 people (I suppose)

1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 pinch cayenne (yes.. you read right)
2 eggs - lightly beaten
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses

Glaze:
1/2 cup icing sugar - sifted
1 tblsp maple syrup
water

:: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
:: Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
:: Sift dry ingredients. Set aside.
:: In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, maple syrup, oil, and molasses until well blended... because of the molasses, this may take a little longer.
:: Add egg-mixture to dry ingredients.. I used a whisk to get it all mixed in and smooth.
:: Pour batter into the prepared pan.
:: Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (approximately 30 minutes)
:: Cool in pan, remove and glaze.

:: For Glaze: Add maple syrup to icing sugar, and enough water to make a glaze.

Serve alone, with whipped cream, or with ice-cream.

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 11:33 AM | Permalink


10 Comments:


At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalamu'alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Dear Farhana, Jazakillah for sharing the recipe with us. It looks so tempting and yummylicious that I simply drool just by looking at it... hehehe

:)

 

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sister,

Haha.. well, I'll eat a piece for you.. insha'Allah.

I'm guessing you don't get Maple syrup at your end?? beautiful, scrumptious maple syrup.. yummy. AlhumduliLlah, Allah has made such wonderful things!

Jazaki'Allahu khair for stopping by, your comments are always very much appreciated.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Lots of Love
Farhana

 

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

The cake looks very yummy to me,
What a pity I do not have some of the ingredients so that I could try it out .... :-(

Maryam

 

At 4:49 AM, Blogger Atypical

Asalamualaikum Farahana!

yummy the cake looks srumptious will deifinitely try it when i've got more time on my hands!

 

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Jazaki'Allahum khair for visiting my side of things. Sorry for not checking your blog in a while.. busy, busy this end.

Maryam, I thought the same thing when I posted it.. that there are going to be lots of people who don't have some of the ingredients. I'm sorry. Insha'Allah one of these days I'll post something which we could all make.

JaTM, insha'Allah you are able to try it out. And please let me know how it goes.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Lots of Love
Farhana

 

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Amina

i came accidently your delicious blog :)
this looks amazing, will try it 2day at home.

regards from Poland

 

At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Assalam Alaikum,
Just wanted to drop in and leave my new blog Url: http://oldschoolmuslima.com

Hope u get a chance to drop by

Ma Salama
Amani

 

At 1:46 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest sisters,

Amina, jazaki'Allahu khair for the lovely comment. I am so happy you found my blog :) I'd love to hear what you think of the cake, insha'Allah.

Amani! I have been wondering where you were hiding. And am very eager to hear news about the baby, insha'Allah. Thank you for letting me know your new blog address, insha'Allah I shall check it out.

Wa'alaykum as-salaam
Love Farhana

 

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Sultana

salam alaikum sis!

mashallah this cake looks delicious and moist! youve got some "hidden kitchen talent" up your sleeve mashallah, heh heh...

 

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dearest Sultana,

Hahaha.. oh you are so funny! :P humm... I don't know if 'talent' is the word.. but so far no-one has died from my cooking..alhumduliLlah... haha

How are things with you? I am so happy to see you around :) Insha'Allah I hope to hear more from you. I'll email.. soon, insha'Allah.. I'm a little behind on everything.

As-salaamu'alaykum
Lots of Lvoe
Farhana

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts