The Noble Tree
Tuesday, September 19, 2006
As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu

With few days left for Ramadaan, insha'Allah.. I managed to more or less finish any last minute shopping, so I can make the most of the blessed month. Today I had to opportunity to taste fresh dates (yellow and still on the stem)!



I know, I know.. doesn't sound very exciting.. but I do like trying new things..and every new experience opens a new window in life. I personally really enjoyed the dates, and if anyone else can find them, pick up a few.. and let me know what you think.

A little something I learned recently about this noble tree:
Shaykh al Islam Muhammad Abul Huda As Sayyaadi mentions on the hadith that Islam is built on five pillars that, ‘this good word is like a good tree whose roots are deep and whose branches reach out to the sky - the good word is La illaha illa Allah – which is deeply rooted in the heart of the believer and whose fruits are manifested on the limbs of the believer. The date palm tree is rather unique in that it only grows on pure soil. Similarly, the meaning of La illaha illa Allah only grows and gives fruit in a pure heart. As for a filthy heart that has either been completely blackened by disbelieve or is darkened by sin and heedlessness to the commands of Allah, this tree is stunted.

Labels:

 
posted by Sketched Soul at 7:34 PM | Permalink


5 Comments:


At 5:22 PM, Blogger samshki

Salaam aleikoum,
I've never seen dates like that before, I didn't even know they looked like that when they're fresh! Just dropped by to say I love your blog and its giving me inspiration to go and be crafty too

 

At 7:17 AM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Asalaamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dear Farhana,

I had the opportunity to taste fresh dates shortly after I took shahadah about 4 years ago. For a while I think I liked fresh dates better but now I'm stuck on medjool dates :).

Jazak Allah kheir for the information about the date tree.

ma'a salaamah

 

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sisters,

sh, thank you for dropping by and for the wonderful comments. I'd love to hear how the crafting goes :) huh..huh.. I'm with you, this was my first time see dates so ripe.. (maybe I need to get out more..hehe) give them a try if you have a chance, insha'Allah.

my dear sister Hijabi Apprentice, masha'Allah.. so is this your 5th ramadaan? yes Madjool dates are good too! Have you tried them stuffed? Cut it in half, discard pit, stuff with some ricotta cheese (or any soft cheese) and you can add an almond in too, and drizzle with some honeyyyy!! yummy!

Okay I better go.. (getting hungry)
Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Sketched Soul

Wa'alaykum as-salaam wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear Asma,

hehe.. humm, I should put food warnings on my blog, for fasting people :)

Ameen! Thank you for the beautiful dua'.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

 

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Hijabi Apprentice

Wa Alaikum Salaam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

Dear Farhana,

Oh my goodness! I didn't realize it but yes this is my 5th Ramadan, masha Allah.

I haven't tried the dates with ricotta (gotta try that) but I usually eat them with the baybel cheese which is semi soft or I also like dates with slice cheddar cheese. Ooh I better stop I'm salivating :).

ma'a salaamah

 

Post a Comment

~ back home
Go to older posts

Go to newer posts